Friday, March 21, 2014

Interlude 2: More Interluderer!

Sup, and stuff?

By now you probably noticed that last week there was no post.  None.  Not even a small note mentioning the significant lack of post.  Not even a seflie with a frown.

I apologize.  The last couple of weeks saw the hecticness (can we say that's a word now?) of my life blast to epic levels of not sane.  It's an excuse, yes.  Were I a better man, I would have simply apologized and said "there is no excuse for my lameness."  

Fortunately, I'm not a better man.  So, there it is.

Even now, you are getting an interlude post.  Well, another interlude post.  I'm sure you figured that out when you read the title.  When I sat down, I had just been thinking about how there is going to be a third "Taken" movie.  Which had me thinking about how you title something like that when the movies are all about the same person/people who keep getting "taken"?

"Taken 3 - More Takenerer."  (hence my title)

"Taken 3 - Taken again, some more, one more time, for a hat trick!"

But it's Liam Neeson and he's great, so, what are you going to do?

Next week should present no problem in getting a post out on time.  (he said setting himself up for no excuses.)  The week after, however, my beautiful lady mate and I will be in Cozumel.  I make no promises about that weeks post.

In preparation for Cozumel (and the rest of a long healthy life), we have been hitting the gym hard with renewed vigor.  We hadn't stopped working out, but now we are extra motivated.  I won't lie.  It's about vanity at this point.  Yes, we are primarily doing it for health and not being dead.  But we realized that neither of us had been in a swim suit, in public, for awhile.  It was deemed important that we be bikini ready.  Well, I won't be wearing a bikini... that you will ever, ever know about.  But I digress.

As such, we've been in the gym a lot.  Like today, for example.  My wife did cardio while I was teaching class, after which I joined her and did some laps around the track.  We followed this up with pull-ups (multiple grip), dips (there is really only one grip), weighted side crunches, downward diagonal twisty rope pulls on a weighted pulley thingies(I have no idea what they are called), and dead lifts.

It was a light day.

We've been doing this stuff for quite a while now, which was why I was so surprised when, as I stood up from the couch earlier, my butt muscles attempted to murder me.

Apparently they were unhappy about the dead lifts.  I stood up and almost fell right over.  Everything is fine, it was just a temporary soreness from sitting after a workout.  No damage.  Everything is fine.

But wow.  You forget how important each part of your body is until one of those parts wants to not cooperate.  When everything is running smooth, you sort of take it for granted.  Then, suddenly, on piece of the machine says "NO!!  I refuse!" and quickly you are aware of it's importance.

Our lives are very much like this.  Usually it only takes one small thing to become disheveled, and suddenly we are on the road to serious unhappiness.

And there are many parts.  And those parts have parts.

Did you know that there are dozens and dozens of enzymes that help your blood clot properly?  Did you know without any single one of them working properly you could bleed to death?  Such a tiny little thing.  Just one little thing, and really bad stuff happens.

It's "easy" to see the parts of our physical life.  Eat good, exercise well, sleep well, stay balanced.  Not as easy as it sounds, but pretty straight forward.

Our mental life.  Keep stress in check, have a positive attitude, practice patience, and hundreds of other things to keep us from delving into insanity.

Our spiritual life (even if you don't believe in God, spiritual practice has proven over and again it's health benefits).  Prayer/meditation.  Finding peace inside.  And also dozens of other components of a healthy spiritual life.

And if just one sliver of any one piece of any one part in any one of these categories goes off kilter, you immediately know it.  Taking care of all of these aspects of life is part (not all) of finding joy and completeness.  

Don't let your life become about those things which drive you mad and harm you.  Let your life be about the things that build you up and elevate you.  The awful stuff will always be there, but your life doesn't have to be dedicated to it.

Choose a better path.

Huh.  What do you know.  I started off with rambling and excuse making and a semi legit post manifested.  I better quit while I'm ahead.

Thanks for showing up.  Thanks for reading.

Have a great night.


No comments: